Saturday, February 11, 2017

An act of kindness

Well it is Day 2 and I actually did a lot of reflecting when I went to bed.  I kept replaying a lot of the conversations I had yesterday.  I think a  lot of people were not only confused why I would take on this challenge but also what is the point.  I was always aware of poverty within our community.  We see it all the time.  I also seen poverty through my family and heard of their experiences and struggles.  I came into this challenge knowing of my position and what I have.  In my job title it says I am a "Community Liaison".  I love my community.  I love the people that live in it.  The people that help out.  All people that are a part of it.  I am doing this for the community.  To give recognition to those who help.  To give awareness to those who take things for granted when it can be taken away so fast.  To those who have know where else to turn. 

With that being said I drew my challenge card today and it said..."Pay some kindness to someone today".  I was happy to see this card.  I want to stay true to my budget and try not to physically pay but offer.  I think it is the gesture that is truly appreciated.  With the weather we have been having I decided to dig through all my hats and scarves and I am bringing them to town to give out.  Now, I am lucky as I have a mom who loves to knit and I have an endless supply of scarves...sorry mom but it is for a good cause.

I planned out my morning and looked at ways to get to town.  I live in Keewatin were things are not necessarily close to me.  I checked the bus schedule as I wanted to join my teammates for a pancake breakfast at the Jubilee church.  We were going to meet at 8:30 am.  And unfortunately I could not make it as the bus does not leave Keewatin till 9:15 am.  A taxi would cost be at least $15 or more and I just was not up to walking that early in the morning.  This is a challenge and hurdle that most people have to face.  I also am a very impatient person and cannot wait to catch the 12:45 pm bus so I am walking to town.  I will need to get on the bus at 5:45 pm if I want to make it home before they stop running.  And I will NEED to pack snacks for this journey...Hangry is a true problem.

Let's see where this day takes me.  Don't forget to spread your act of kindness everyday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.