Friday, February 10, 2017

Thank you but no thank you..

So as day 1 approaches its end I am going to share what exactly happened today.
My challenge card today read:
"Your friend treats you to bingo and won!  You wont $100....but you borrowed $90 from the friend last week and it cost $7.00 to play.  You only take home $3.00.  Borrowed money and lottery winnings are to be reported to OW".
Now I read this and thought - I have a meeting at Hojoe's this morning that $3 is my coffee.  I also thought to not call Ontario Works and keep this winning (which in the end it did not seem to be a winning) to myself.  I was worried if I called I would have a set back to my expenses.  My conscience got the best of me and I called.  To my surprise, only winnings over $1000 are really needed to call OW.  Anything under will not affect your pay.  Phew....because I spent that $3 on a green tropical tea!

I think my biggest surprise and soon to be challenge are all the helping hands I am receiving from friends, coworkers and family.  My dad started making a casserole today because he does not want me to starve and only eat alphaghetti.  Don't worry dad, I bought some sustainable food today.  But I found whenever I talked about this I had people offering rides, to buy me coffee to make me food.  And as much I wanted to say yes to everything, I also wanted to stay true to the challenge. 

Another response I received when people heard about this is "I could never do that".  My mom lived in poverty with her single mother and two sister growing up.  She told me that her goal was to go to university and to not live in poverty.  It was not an easy childhood for her and she realizes that poverty could happen again.  She is proud I am taking this challenge and in her words "you are entitled and need this".  The support is real! 

So today I went and bought my groceries and spent $33 out of my $55.  I even splurged and bought ground beef to make some pasta sauce to last me a few days.  I also used $2 to use my vehicle to the store.  I even scored some popcorn that was going to be thrown away from the concession at my work.

I keep thinking ahead and keep asking myself "how am I going to afford this"  "how am I going to do this".  I am taking it day by day and will see what tomorrow's challenge is.

So as my friends go to the legion and play horse races, I opted out to stay home and eat some noodles. 
p.s.  I ran out of soft cat food for my other cat(Merlot)....she is not happy with her hard food while the other(Charlie) gets special food.  Sorry Merlot, you are in this with me!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.